Thursday, April 17, 2008

Getting "Painterly"



Thursday, March 13, 2008

This point in the workshop, everyone starts to see the end of the week coming and with that comes a sense of regret and anxiety. While I am really enjoying myself, it has been a long time away and I am very tired. With completion also comes our show finale, so all of us focus on finishing and getting work ready to show. I continued to work on my third figure painting but I was anxious to try a non-objective painting.

This was to be a workshop about working on alternative surfaces. However, the only techniques George has taught have been about Yupo. I feel a bit disappointed as this was not as advertised and I know George has a great deal of knowledge about many technical areas of painting.

George and I had private conference for him to review and critique my body of work. He was quite supportive and, as a direction to explore, suggested I work on integrating a more “painterly effect” with my “decorative” imagery. Having his feedback was very helpful and I appreciated it.

I proceeded to create a “painterly” (layered) underpainting and then placed a chair on top of it. Now my challenge is to turn it into a painting.

Photos top to bottom: underpainting with chair outline, Springmaid Pier, finished painting.

1 comment:

Its ME said...

Artists are unique imaginers at times. Nature potraits beauty and artists copy for reasons known to themselves. Perspectives biodiversities are unlimited, oh the awesomeness of human imagination is beyong all artists perception.
My interest is in Healthy Wealth blog: http://theinnozablog.blogspot.com
drop by when you are free from drawing. Thanks for drawing the nature for us.