Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What a Party!








Friday, March14, 2008

Struggling with this painting seems to be the order of the day. While one can get a layer of paint to stick to Yupo (synthetic paper), frequently, putting on a subsequent layer, as is demanded for a “painterly effect”, will just pick up the first layer, leaving you with nothing. At the same time, take this approach to design is so outside my normal perview, it is hard to evaluate when it is working or not. Also, with abstraction, there is no object to compare your picture to detect its “correctness”. Coping with all these new challenges simultaneously is sometimes frustrating and confusing.

Finally deemed that painting finished & gave it over to the picture hanging elves who make the 3rd floor studios into a very large gallery. I need to pack up and make the box of canvases and boards that I didn’t use, to be Fedexed back to NY.

The South Carolina weather was enticing me to never leave, so I took my last long walk down on the beach from the Springmaid pier down to the next.

Returning with just enough time to get into my glad rags & make my appearance for cocktails. Similar to last week, the work is wonderful. This time, however, there is a greater diversity of style as there are more open studios. Because we are all heading back home shortly (this is the last of 3 consecutive sessions), I made a point to photograph several of my friends with their work. It is quite accomplished and all seemed to feel they had gained from this intense learning experience.

After dinner, we returned for dancing but there was a different DJ from the week before. We swore we couldn’t imagine where he dug up some of the music he was playing. Most of it was from the 1940’s & 50’s. Old, old old! But he did get some of the couples up for some (really) old standards. My friends, Kathleen & Dennis, looked romantically sweet on the dance floor, especially when Dennis swooped Candy in those deep dips.

Photos: me at the top at our gala, more friends and their art work, at the bottom, the romantic dancers of Michigan.

No comments: