Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Studio Tour




Sometimes, you just have to take things in hand and make them happen. That’s what I decided to do when I wanted my community to hold an artist studio tour. My idea was that I would reach out to other artists, who I didn’t know, and create a group of people who would work together harmoniously, sharing the effort, to make it happen.

Luckily, my friend (and very talented book artist and writer), Brenda, consented to jump into this endeavor with me (if a little reluctantly). We held meetings to get a group together & make things happen. But for a while there, the only things that happened were dissension. After a screaming match in my own living room (where I was the one being screamed at), I almost bagged the whole thing.

We had, then lost, support of the Flatbush Development Corp.- our community org, and gained support from Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition.

With all the talent I had reached out to, we still didn’t have a useable logo for the event . So, even though I have no graphic arts training, I decided to come up with a logo. You see here what I came up with. Since our acronym is FAST – Flatbush Artist Studio Tour, I really wanted to convey something art-like moving swiftly, hence the
spinning color wheels. But because we are a Victorian neighborhood, and are running the tour the same weekend as the house tour, everyone seemed to like the house best. (The easel guy was no contender.) And that’s what we went with. Which do you think works best?

Flatbush Artists Studio Tour (FAST)  June 7 & 8, 1-5PM www.FlatbushArtists.org
FAST Group Show June 1-15 at Voxpop and Connecticutt Muffin, 1022 & 1106 Cortelyou Rd, Brooklyn, NY
My studio: 190 Marlborough Road., Brooklyn
Plan On It!

No comments: