Monday, April 28, 2008

Solitary Pursuit


Returning to New York was a disorienting experience. Of course, I was glad to see my husband and daughter after two weeks away. It was fun going that evening to the 50th Birthday party of my dear friend, Marilyn Davidson. My energy was waning but her husband, Steve, spoke so tenderly about her that I got a second wind. Dancing almost pushed me over the top.
So those were the good parts. But coming back to everyday life, the responsibilities in home, family, friends, FAST and food, had been shed while I was away and I only resumed them reluctantly. It is amazing how quickly we can get used to changes, especially those that make our lives easier. For two weeks, I only had to care for myself and my painting. In that time, the two were synonomous.

I was anxious to continue what I had started and to apply what I learned. It is always helpful to work in a group setting—there is feedback and comments throughout the painting process. One may even have the opportunity to talk out a problem and solution, with the only input being the listening of another artist.

But talking it out with yourself is a more difficult and solitary pursuit. The critical, problemsolving dialog exists only within yourself and, with new tools gain in the workshops, it is difficult to implement them effectively.

The painting above was begun at the workshop and finished at home. It has a brief beginning in acrylic and the rest is watercolor on synthetic yupo paper. Painted of a model to whom the face, clothing and setting bear no resemblance. What is she gazing at through the black opening? (Your comments are welcome.)

No comments: