Monday, March 31, 2008

Birthday Celebration

Sunday, March 9, 2008

IT’S MY BIRTHDAY! My family sent me a package with cards that I opened first thing in the morning but I saved my present for later. Kathleen called and asked if I wanted to go with them to Conway, SC for a river cruise at noon. When I reminded her that was in 15 minutes, she realized they had forgotten to reset their clock for daylight saving.

Scurried into clothes and met them straight away. Conway was about 45 minutes away. We met Captain Jim who ran the river tour with his 10 person electric boat. A veritable encyclopedia of information about the history of Conway, we spent a pleasant and informative hour and a half.

Got back to Springmaid only a few minutes after the workshop introduction was under way. My instructor this week is George James from Costa Mesa, California. Most of his career was spent as a professor at UC Fullerton. While he works primarily in watercolor on a synthetic paper called YUPO, he makes it clear that he is open to
any way that a student wants to work. Obviously, many students work with Yupo, as indicated by their questions. I’m hoping that this doesn’t dominate throughout.
(Photos top to bottom: on the river in Conway, Kathleen on the boat, more Conway river, George James about to demonstrate.)

No comments: