Thursday, March 27, 2008

Beach Beauty & A Perspective Lesson





Thursday, March 6, 2008

The day dawned with a crystal, clear blue sky and a calm ocean. By midday it warmed to the low 70’s, making lunch break an outdoor event. There wasn’t much time for sunbathing for the painters but a few other brave souls were taking el sol by the pool. Warmer weather makes the beach a busy place with walkers, pets and surfers taking advantage of the balmy day. (Springmaid pier, above)

I, however, spent the bulk of the hours in the day indoors in the studio. Just a few pieces of collage completed the abstract project on which our class has been working for the last three days. Salminen said he thought I could keep working on the painting indefinitely which would change it but would not necessarily improve it. He confirmed my decision that this painting was done.

We got to see more of what our instructor does when he showed slides of his paintings. He creates urban street scenes, filled with amazing detail and complexity. Working primarily in a neutral palette, his depictions of New York, San Francisco, Paris and other major cities are studies in value.

Perspective drawing was his lesson today. His descriptions and diagrams made a subject that I’ve studied before but never quite got, straight forward and clear.Today I made a new painting in acrylic on paper. After many layers of color, I painted a figure and applied some of the approach I have just learned to the background. Tomorrow I will have an opportunity to conference with John and get his feedback.

No comments: