Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Go West, Young Woman

















9 June 2008

Last weekend, we went out West to attend the annual booksellers convention, Book Expo America, held this year in Los Angeles. My husband, Gary, is a book publisher. You can see him here with his latest book, The Merck Manual for Pet Health. A great book, it is invaluable for anyone who loves a pet.

Before going to LA, we visited the ranch of his spokesperson, Joan Embrey and her husband, Dwayne, in San Diego. It’s a fabulous ranch with horses, chickens, stables and barns. But there’s an African twist here. Joan & Dwayne have exotic animals—it’s like they have the beginnings of their own zoo! She has wonderful birds and snakes, frogs, hedgehogs & an armadillo. Fearsome cheetahs made it clear they are wild animals, while the sloth hung out beside the kinetic lemur. But my favorite was the aardvark! He didn’t look one bit like Arthur of book fame and is so benign that they sometimes take him for a walk on a leash. I think having this close experience with the animals will help them find a way into my artwork.

I already paint a lot of elephants. My most recent is here, entitled “Two For The Road”. I was going to call it two tushies, but decided that didn’t sound professional enough. I just loved this backview and the companionship, parent and child.

No comments: