Saturday, June 28, 2008

Diligent Work








Just about the time FAST went into high gear, I received the opportunity to go into a middle school and teach a residency. The school, MS 223, is in the South Bronx. I had 8 sessions to give 3 sixth grade classes a grounding in art skills and the focus to make some great art.

Being a teaching artist is always an adventure. I deal with the unknown: the students, classes and administration in each site, have their own special take on things. In this school, they were all responsive and we took the adventure together. Many of the students had little or no art in their background, so I began with basics. Since our time was so compressed, we quickly progressed & got to work on our major project.

Having studied ancient civilizations during the year, I decided we would use Greek vases as the format. With the Olympics coming up this summer, the project became Olympic Amphora.

I will tell more about it in the next entry, but here are some photos of diligent workers and their creations.

No comments: