Monday, March 16, 2009

BACK IN SPRINGMAID


After an uneventful flight down to Myrtle Beach, I arrived back in a special place that has enriched my life with numerous workshops. This year, I am studying with George James, a wonderful artist and teacher from southern California.

George is an expert at working on Yupo paper. More like a sheet of plastic than paper. George did several demonstrations of technique. First he showed a flat wash and a graded wash.

He then showed lots of ways to manipulate the paint: lifting, painting over, squeegeeing. He made it look easy but the practice is not easy. I am struggling to get a handle on all of this but not being too successful. I spent the day playing with it.

George also talked about the most important parts if the picture, the diagram shown here with the numbers reversed (it was taken in the mirror.)

2 comments:

Artuitive said...

Karen, I loved getting to know you at Springmaid. You are so inspiring and delightful. Looking forward to the artists reunion at your place in the Spring. Wow, it IS spring. What are waiting for?
Love,
Susie

Artist Karen Friedland said...

Hey Susie--

I was just trying to firm up my travel plans. Looked like a trip to South Africa was going to happen but got bagged yesterday. Will be going to Nicaragua for a couple of weeks end July,-beginning Aug. Need to look at calendar to figure dates.

best,
Karen