Thursday, July 17, 2008

Golden Pine


It conjures up cool, mountain breezes, the refreshing air of Autumn, a great relief from the stifling New York humidity. The painting, "Golden Pine" was painted on location in southern New Mexico, near a town called Alamagordo (I love to say that name.) I worked at an easel with pastels, gazing at a mountainside filled with trees that had already kissed summer good bye, their predominantly yellow leaves encompassing my view. While I invented the colors in my painting, they were all there under the surface, if you just looked a little closer. But I had to give tribute to their golden color, hence my solitary yellow pine. Because it is alone, it draws your eye, contrasting with the violet-hued hillside.

This piece is on display at the BWAC Summer Show - HOT! -at the Red Hook Pier in Brooklyn, weekends from July 26 - August 17 (see previous post). It won an award at the Pastel Society of Oregon 10th National Juried Show. Pastel, 25" x 19"unframed, $1,350, matted and framed.

No comments: